Build an ergonomic model for the legs with one end of the model focused on the hips and knees
Part 1: Introduction to Ergonomics?
OSHA defines ergonomics as “the science of designing the job to fit the worker, instead of forcing the worker to fit the job”. While that appears like a fairly simple statement, there is much more to the process of understanding ergonomics. The true understanding of ergonomics is changing how we think about how we move and interact in the performance of various work tasks. There are five basic components of engaging the ergonomic process:
Part 2: Lower Extremity – Legs, Knees, Ankles and Feet?
When someone is asked about the legs in the backdrop of ergonomics, there is typically a look of confusion or that “I never really thought about it before” response. On average, we assume our legs will just do want we want them to do. Consequently, most people do not really think about it much, but legs are really the foundation of how we engage in work every day! From an ergonomic standpoint, our legs represent only about 25% of our total body weight but that means it holds up, controls, and supports the other 75% of the body (head – arms at 25% and trunk at 50% with a total of 75% for the head/ arms/trunk referred to at the HAT).