Summertime brings many wonderful things like barbecues with friends and family, pool parties, beach days, and lots of special memories. In addition to joyous occasions, there are also numerous unfortunate accidents that may occur, which could be prevented with simple safety precautions.
Staying Safe in the Sun
During the summer we all love being outdoors. It’s great to enjoy the warm weather and sunshine, however it’s equally important to protect you and your family from harmful ultraviolet radiation.
- If possible, it’s best to cover up and stay in the shade during peak sun exposure hours, typically from 10 am – 4 pm.
- Always wear a hat and sunglasses to protect yourself from the sun.
- Apply sunscreen before you leave the house, and don’t forget to re-apply throughout the day.
- If you’re swimming you’ll need to re-apply sunscreen every 2 hours.
It’s easy to get carried away with outdoor sports, walking, or spending time by the pool. However, it’s important that you do not allow your body to overheat. This is equally important for adults and children. Smaller children and infants do not know how to regulate their body temperature, and can easily get heat stress or heat stroke, which can be fatal.
- Adults should reduce the intensity of outdoor activities that last more than15 minutes, especially in areas with high humidity.
- Stay hydrated. Make sure you carry water with you at all times.
- Wear lightweight clothing that does not absorb sweat.
- Children involved in sports should frequently stop to drink water.
- If you’re traveling, always check the backseat and make sure that young children are hydrated and staying cool.
Unfortunately, slips, trips, and falls extend beyond the workplace. It’s important to be aware of your surroundings at all times.
- If you have children, make sure playground equipment is soft, safe, and maintained properly.
- It’s not just children that can slip on the playground. Make sure your shoes have good tread, your laces are tied and you have MEGAComfort insoles to add comfort and support, as you run and play with your kids.
- Ensure that kids and teenagers wear protective sport equipment if they are engaging in sports.
Summer is the perfect time to enjoy the sunshine, grab your bicycle and go for a long ride. Bike riding is a great way to stay active throughout the year, but during the summer months it’s especially fun to take a spin. Regardless of the season it’s extremely important to practice proper bicycle safety.
- Make sure you and your fellow riders (especially children) are wearing protective helmets at all times.
- Go with the flow of traffic and ride your bike in the same direction as traffic is flowing.
- Keep your eye on parked cars, drivers are not always aware of upcoming bicyclists.
- Make sure you check your tire pressure and that your bicycle is set up properly for the season.
Support Your Step
Spring seems to send us running into summer, almost literally. Runners and walkers are always outside exercising and enjoying the outdoors. Adding additional walking, running, and time on your feet can also increase potential pain and fatigue. It’s important to make sure you enjoy your activities while practicing proper safety.
- If you’re going to go for a run, or a long walk, it’s important to take time to stretch before and after any exercise.
- Proper foot support can make the difference between healthy exercising success or the need for rest. Check your footwear and make sure they are not worn out.
- Add MEGAComfort insoles to your footwear. They are doctor designed and made of patented dual layer 100% memory foam. They are also clinically proven to reduce pain and fatigue.
We hope you enjoy your summer and all the fun activities it brings. It’s important to be safety minded and be aware of safety hazards, to ensure a long happy and healthy summer.