Walking is one the best things you can do for your health. As more studies show, sitting for extended periods of time can cause damage to your health. Extending the amount of time that you walk for can greatly decrease your risk for serious and chronic health issues. Whether you decide to find new walking trails, spend more time walking around your neighborhood, or head to the beach for a nice stroll, walking is the perfect form of exercise that can relax the body and the mind.
If you’re not a fan of long walks, we’re here to share some information that may change the way you view walking as exercise.
The benefits of long walks
- Long walks not only help calm your mind, but they improve your aerobic capacity and stamina.
- Walking strengthens your heart by reducing the risk of heart disease and strokes.
- Walking for an extended period of time lowers LDL cholesterol (bad) and increases HDL cholesterol (good).
- Regular walking habits can reduce our risk of diabetes and colon cancer.
- Older people benefit from walking 6 miles or more per week, helping them avoid and prevent dementia.
- Walking outside helps you increase your Vitamin D.
- Walking is an effective way to tone your muscles.
- Spending more time walking actually gives you an energy boost! Walking increases circulation and your oxygen intake, helping your body feel more alert.
- All exercise has the ability to make you happy, since endorphins are mood boosters. Walking is a low impact form of exercise that can increase your happiness.
New to taking long walks
Starting any new healthy habit can begin as a challenge. The most important thing is to be consistent. Select a time of day, or various times throughout the day, to get up and take a walk. Setting an achievable goal that pushes you to reach new limits, is a sure way to stay committed and gain confidence in your ability to be active.
Just like any other exercise, it’s important to be safe. Although walking sounds safe enough, there are steps (or MEGASteps) you can take to ensure your treating your body with the respect it deserves. When you think about walking, you might first think of your time outdoors and how great it feels to breathe fresh air and exercise. You may neglect to think about what’s actually propelling you to take every step…your feet!
It’s important to make sure that you wear properly fitting shoes. Shoes should not be too tight or too large. If your shoes have holes, or damage, it’s best to wear shoes that are stable with the ability to provide better protection. Just like most things in life, it’s what’s on the inside that counts. MEGAComfort insoles are patented dual layer memory foam insoles that are inserted into your shoe to provide continual support, prevent slips, trips, and falls while simultaneously reducing pain and fatigue. If you ever wonder how people work on their feet all day, and then exercise when they get home, well our insoles may be their secret weapon against fatigue.
Walking is an excellent form of low impact exercise that can positively impact your health. Make sure you stay hydrated, wear proper shoes, with reliable support and don’t forget to enjoy every MEGAStep of your walk.
Buy Your 3-in-1 Multi-Thotic Today!
Find a Distributor Store Location Near You